Clwyd County Exec Minutes – 3rd February 2016
1. WELCOME AND APOLOGIES
Isabel Blore – County Commissioner
Ruth Davies – Assistant County Commissioner (North)
Alison Williams – Assistant County Commissioner (South)
Christine Dwerryhouse – East Flintshire Division Commissioner
Beth Taylor – North Denbighshire Commissioner
Barbara Jones – Wrexham Division Commissioner
Nicola Barlow – West Flintshire Division Commissioner
Megan Jones – Treasurer
Jane Bevan – Outdoor Activities Adviser
Alice Lovegrove-Jones – PR rep
Judith Standring – Ty-Clwyd Chairman
Brenda Trickett – Trefoil
Anna Preece – Dyfodol-y-Ddraig
Hazel Webb – Adult Support Co-ordinator
Lynda Walmsley – South Denbighshire Commissioner
Alison Roberts – Berwyn Division Commissioner & TSS Centenary Champion,
Serena Broughton – Colwyn Division
2. Reflections: Isabel read out a short poem “Wet” by Shirley Hughes
We have started 2016 with the loss of a more of our Guiding Friends
Celia Taylor has died after a long illness. She had held the roles of County music adviser, and Div. Commissioner for N. Denbighshire.
Alma Camps a well known member of Wrexham Trefoil
Peter Hipkin – husband of Margaret a guider from Colwyn and a member of Ty Clwyd Friends Committee. Peter did a lot for Ty Clwyd in the early days, particularly when we built the toilet block and was a frequent help at many of the early camps
Freya Blanchard a past County Commissioner for Montgomeryshire
Mrs Mary Priddle-Higson BEM, Vice President for Girlguiding Cymru and Caernarvonshire sadly passed away this morning (3rd Feb) at the age of 92.
On a brighter note Mrs May Alderson will be celebrating her 100th Birthday on 20th February. Christine Dwerryhouse has her address if any well-wishers would like to send a card. As a County we will be sending a small gift and a card.
3. Minutes from last meeting held on 24th November 2015 approved as correct
4. Matters arising –
- Annual Review 2016 is being hosted by West Flintshire. This will on Tuesday 10th May at St Peters Church Holywell. 7pm for a 7.15pm start.
- Invites (by email where we have email addresses) will be sent out to guests as in previous years all members and volunteers with Girlguiding Clwyd are invited to attend.
- As several individuals and groups have travelled aboard during 2015; it was suggested that instead of “Entertainment” as such perhaps some of those who have been away on International could be asked to give a short account. Anna Preece has been to Korea though the selection process, Katie Dutta has been to Latvia on a GOLD project. Debbie Smith has taken Brownies to Paris; several guide/senior section groups have visited Switzerland.
- Lists of Long Service Awards due in each Division were given out for Division Commissioners to check that ladies hadn’t already received the award/if anyone else felt they had completed a particular length of service (before end of March 2016) and felt they were due an award at this year’s review. – Please let Isabel know in plenty of time so that this can be checked/missing service added & to ensure we have ordered enough badges!
- Other Awards and Qualifications: BP, Commonwealth Award, Chief Guide Challenge, DoE, QG, YL, LQ, Going Away… Can DC’s/unit leaders please ensure Isabel has these names before 10th April please so they can included in the annual report.
- YL Standardisation checklist is in progress, this should be ready to go out soon with a revised version of our LQ Adult Standardization checklist.
- Ty-Clwyd 123 club – Beth will have joining forms for next exec meeting.
- DBS re-checks some of these are processing though the DBS system very quickly. Alison reported that one cleared in just 2 days! There will be no new DBS checks requested during the census period, requests will restart during April. Volunteers are sent notification by the email address they have on GO!However we do have a total of 8 ladies in Clwyd whose DBS re-checks have not been done their DBS’s expired last August. Since October 1st they have been active-pending on GO! Our new Chief Commissioner has been consulted for advice: Any unit where none of the leaders or assistants don’t have a current DBS check (i.e. are showing as “active-pending”) the unit cannot meet unless another leader with an in-date GG DBS is present too. The active-pending status indicates that the individual:
“will not be able to attend residential events or be left unsupervised until it has been completed.”
This does unfortunately certain units will be unable to meet until the leaders DBS checks are cleared – this affects 2 units in Clwyd. These leaders will not be able to access GO to amend their units GO records or view invoices for annual subscription/census. The girls should be offered places in alternative units while their own units aren’t meeting unless of course another leader with DBS clearance stays each week until cleared. It is imperative that these re-checks are carried out as promptly as feasible when requested. Any Girlguiding ID verifier can carry out the DBS’ it doesn’t have to be the verifier within their own district/division.
5. Treasurers Report (tabled)
Census- It would be lovely if we could be among the first counties in Wales to have all paid before the end of March.
From the website:
“You have until noon on Monday 22 February 2016 to ensure your trial invoice is correct. After this date you will not be able to change the number of active members or the amount you are due to pay.
Your official payable invoice will be available from noon on Wednesday 24 February 2016 and is payable immediately”
6. Outdoor (Jane) –
- Flyers for May 2016 – Have been cascaded & are on our county website.
These include lots of events at Ty Clwyd the May BH weekend:
* Spectacular Senior Section Centenary Outdoor Weekend,
* County Cookout,
* Camp Blanket Weekend
* Going Away Workshop – recommended for all leaders considering a residential or camp qualification.
*Hopefully Walking Level 1training
*International Weekend in March
*County CampSenior Section – Opening Ceremony at Glyndwr awaiting further details from GG Cymru
County camp 30th Jul – 5th Aug 2016 Theme “Land, Air, Water & Space” (LAWS)
& Clwyd Senior Section Celebration Camp 5th – 7th August – Theme “Alice in Wonderland” Flyers for both cascaded & on County website
- International (Applications for 2017) There will be an International Selection weekend 4th-6th March at Ty-Clwyd approx £25 –
International forms out in Jan 2016.
Dawn Pavey – leader of 7th Wrexham Guides has been selected to go to Peru on a GOLD event. (Guiding Overseas Linked with Development)
- QG – If any Senior Section Members are considering do this contact our QG Adviser.
- DoE – We are looking for volunteers either with Walking/ML certificates and/or willing to gain these qualifications so we can assist girls with expeditions towards their DoE Awards.
- Girlguiding Cymru Walking Weekend and approved Level 2 training and assessment on Friday, 15th to Sunday, 17th April 2016 in Rhayader. 50% discount available for Girlguiding Cymru Leaders and all applicants must be over 16 years of age. Closing date is 1st April 2016.
- From the G15 event at Broneirion in the Autumn Half Term – We now have a team of Sports Educators (similar to Peer Educators) They have been trained to help girls (including rainbows in Physical Literacy)
Jacqueline Duffield has agreed to be our – Sport Educator coordinator please contact her if you’d like one or two (dependant on ability) to come into your unit/district/division for a session/s.
Remember this is an Olympic Year!
7. Senior Section Centenary –
- Events planned in County/Divisions/Districts and by Wales too – watch out for more information though email/flyers/FB/County & Wales Websites:
-18th March – Film & overnight at Salvation Army Hall, Connah’s Quay – see flyer.
Survey Monkey Questionnaire: to be sent out by Anna with a choice of films.
– April GG Cymru event at Glyndwr, Wrexham
-May Outdoor Camp – see flyer
-August – Celebration Camp – see flyer
-Early September – Water Activities
8. Ty-Clwyd (report tabled)
- Power cable – During the placement of the outdoor electrics box a cable was severed. Judith asked if County would be willing to pay for repair or replacement as outdoor electrics mainly for County use. It was thought that this should covered by insurance.
- New floor now completed in wet room
- Friends – Quiz Sheets (Beth)
34 returned 20 correct. Picked out (from the hat) as winners: Abi & Jack Marsh and May Castrey
9. Adult support & Training (report tabled)
- 2016 – County Training day on 12th March in Gwersyllt
- County weekend at Broneirion in October – new booking system!
- 1st response & Safe Space – see flyers for dates & venues
10. PR – (report tabled)
- The PR term (Alice as PR Adviser/Co-ordinator, Wendy – Join-Us Co-ordinator & Laura Growing Guiding Champion met up to look at moving forward to establish a new identify for the team.
New name agreed: Growing & Prompting Guiding (GAP)
15th March – GAP meeting 7.30pm – Venue tbc.
If each Division Commissioner; could please appoint a rep for our new GAP team. Preferably someone with Computer/Media Skills – perhaps a Senior Section member or maybe someone doing their LQ?
Please let Alice have the contact details of your Division rep
- Pull-up banners – Clwyd Pull-up Banner (donated by Girlguiding Cymru) is now in County please contact Alice if you wish to use for an event.
- Urdd eisteddfod – Discussion took place around having a stall at the Urdd Eisteddfod which this year is in May half term week – It was generally agreed this would be a good event to attend, however we have struggled with volunteers to staff PR stalls in the past. Nicola will find out some information about the cost etc.
- Laura (Our Growing Guiding Champion) had requested if County could fund a removable hard-drive for storage of County Photos. Laura has offered to sort through suitable photos of members which can then be used at events. Please ensure all photos sent to Laura/used for publicity that parental consent has been given & is recorded on the individual girl’s GO record.
11. Dyfodol-y-Ddraig (Anna)
There are 2 places available for Clwyd from March. Kathryn completes her 3yrs as a rep this term. Any Senior Section member who is interested should apply directly to Wales using the form on their Web Site. We will be looking to re-start a County Youth Council during the TSS Celebration Camp in August.
12. Trefoil – (Brenda) – Report tabled
- Alyn & Deeside Guild has closed due to low numbers. Most of their remaining members have transferred to Mold Guild.
- Sue Roberts has been presented with her Bronze Voyager Award by our Chief Commissioner at Ty-Clwyd.
13. From CHQ – Most information is now emailed out directly from CHQ.
Please share with those who are not on email. – see website/flyers for more info.
- Requests were sent out for members’ views for our next Chief Guide during January.
- Girlguiding are looking for someone who is passionate about seeing more girls and volunteers discover the excitement and adventure of international guiding. Caroline Davis, current International Commissioner, finishes her term of office in September this year and so recruitment is now open for her successor.
- There is currently a vacancy for a Volunteer Trading Board Director (age under 26). Girlguiding Trading Service makes sure members throughout the UK and worldwide can get uniform, badges, resources and gifts. This is a chance for a young member to join the Board of Directors and represent the voices of girls and young women as we make important decisions about how Trading Service is run. It would be appreciated if you could prompt any candidates that you feel would suit this role. It is a great opportunity for the right person not only to express the views of young women at the meetings but also add something positive and distinctive to their CV.
- Over 100 applications have been received for this year’s NSGSO Symphony and new Concert Band and there are still a few places left – in particular BRASS for the concert band, HORN for the orchestra, and one place for a BASS GUITAR player (ability to read music required). Other instruments are still open including all wind for the concert band and all strings for the orchestra.
14. Girlguiding Cymru –
See GGCymru website for Information& booking forms etc.
Some of these events organized by GG Cymru can now be used as BP Adventures – see information on website
- WOW – 2016 17th-19th June at Buillt Wells. Bookings Open in January
- NEW QUAY WATER SPORTS WEEKEND – Brownies aged 8+, Guides and Senior Section…. Friday 13th May to Sunday 15th May 2016 New Quay, Ceredigion
- WATER & WELLIES 2016 AT YNYSGAIN – 7th to 12th August 2016
- OLYMPIC CAMP AT BRONEIRION – 15th to 19th August 2016
- Bring your Guides and Brownies (aged 9+) to a traditional camp at Broneirion where you will be sleeping in canvas ridge and bell tents. Friday, 20th to Sunday, 22nd May 2016. Activities will include: woggle and lanyard making, jam jar lanterns, camp gadgets, campfire cooking and more for the Traditions Badges.
- Girlguiding Cymru have opened a new Lone Senior Section Unit which provides you with the opportunity to stay involved in Guiding whatever your circumstances. The Unit operates mainly on-line and enables you to make great friends, do amazing things, and encounter experiences you have never imagined!
- The Youth Work Excellence Awards (Thursday, 16 June 2016, North Wales) are an opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate the excellent youth work that takes place across Wales. This year there are new awards, including one for those that ‘make a real difference’. Nominations for this new award will be judged and awarded by young people.
15. CC Report (Isabel)
- Appointments –
- Hope DC Designate – Wendy Salt
- Prestatyn DC Designate – Charlotte Frobisher
- iii. Offa’s Dyke District – looking to work as a team
- Berwyn Division Commissioner Designate – Cath Moore
- Correspondence & Visits
- Lesley’s Visit
- Several units in Clwyd have had visits – watch this space for some very exciting news for Girlguiding Clwyd – which is still a secret!
- First Aid Reports – Girlguiding are asking that all units have a leader with a valid (in date 1st Response/1st Aid Qualification). Division 1st Aid reports generated from GO given out. Some areas have a high number of units where no one has an in date certificate. Leaders may hold certificates other than 1st Response these can be added though County GO e.g. 1st Aid in Work, St John’s or Red Cross Certificates. If this applies to any leaders please give your commissioner a copy of your certificate then it can be added to your GO record.
16. Division Feedback – Air & Share
- Berwyn (Alison/Denise)
- Colwyn (Serena) LQ file for Lucy O’Hara
- North Denbighshire (Lynda)
- South Denbighshire (Beth/Lynn) – tabled
- East Flintshire (Chris) -tabled
- Wrexham – (Barbara/Brenda) tabled
- West Flintshire – (Nicola) tabled
Hugh Jones (Barbara/Sparky’s husband) – won a week in the Broneirion Lodge – raffle prize
18. Date of next meeting: –
- Thursday 21st April 2016 – venue TBC Beth arranging a venue? Ruthin
- Friday 3rd June 2016 at Ty-Clwyd – County Planning for all Commissioners/Advisers/Reps/Coordinators.
Option to stay overnight for the Commissioner Workshop the following day (Saturday 4th June) – More info & Booking Form on 32st April.